What is a personal injury? It involves injury to the body, mind, or emotions as opposed to injury to property. The most common example of personal injury is a car accident. It can also include someone who causes you to be injured in an accident, defames your character, causes intentional or negligent emotional distress, industrial accidents, or a product malfunction that causes injury. You will need a lawyer to help you understand what to expect. The following tips can get you started.
- Clearly detail the injuries you suffered. Make sure to list any and all injuries that you sustained or think that you might have sustained from the accident. Don’t forget to add to the list as bumps, bruises or swellings appear later. Photographs of the injuries are important. You should include any emotional or mental issues that have arisen. For example, you may now be afraid to drive.
- As you are assessing damages you have incurred from your injury, be sure to note lost income. This should include time off work or loss of bonuses. Also be sure to include any money you lost due to classes you needed to skip.
- Consult the directory of the ABA for recommendations for lawyers. They can provide you with recommendations for reputable attorneys in your area, and can inform you of any complaints or proceedings against attorneys in your area. Talk to your family or friends for lawyer recommendations. Get the best lawyer you can afford.
- Be prepared before you talk to a personal injury lawyer. This is definitely important if your attorney works on contingency. Your lawyer will only get money if you get a favorable ruling, so it is possible they may turn your case away if you don’t have adequate information. Gather all of your documentation and forms in advance of meeting your lawyer and even practice presenting your information.
Ask any questions you have of your lawyer. No question is out of bounds – whether it be on anticipated costs, expected trial length or outcomes achieved by previous clients. You need to be comfortable, and asking questions is a smart way to make you feel more informed. Get the best legal representation for your type of case. Do not settle for just any type of personal injury lawyer. Trust only those with years of experience in handling cases similar to yours. One well known firm is the Mast Law Firm . If you currently need a lawyer, check out Mast today.
- When getting an attorney, sign a retainer agreement. This will ensure that both parties are fully aware of what is expected and should lay out any and all fees in great detail. Note in the agreement how and when payment is to be received, as well.
- Understand that it may take months or even years to receive compensation for your injury. It can be a long and drawn out process that requires a great deal of patience. It is not uncommon for a big agency to draw the case out with continuances, hoping you will give up before the case goes to court. It is not at all unusual for a complicated case to take years to resolve. If you understand this ahead of time, you will be able to move forward without as much anxiety.
Use this information in finding the lawyer right for you. Know what to expect from a lawyer. Get a concerned lawyer who is serious about helping you get the justice you deserve.